Arwen and I frequent this Safeway because it is the largest (and nicest) grocery store in the State. Each visit includes a hunt for one of those shopping carts with the car on front and a stop by the Starbucks counter to get a coffee for me and a kid's hot cocoa for Arwen. I can't break the routine or else I catch an ear full from the 3 year old. We weren't here to shop today, so there was no need to go cart hunting, but I thought I'd share a past picture of Arwen cruising in her cart drinking "coffee." Too fun. Thankfully, meeting Arwen's Gabey was distraction enough for us to break tradition without much of a fuss.
Since this is not a REAL Starbucks store, the drink menu differs (they actually didn't have it displayed) and the food options were different (likely from the Safeway bakery?) We ordered an assortment of pastries and our drinks and then head outside to sit down and enjoy.
For this visit:
Our baristas: Rachael & Bertha
- Malia: Grande, Decaf, No Whip, Extra Foam White Chocolate Mocha in her photo Starbucks tumbler (They were out of Toffee Nut today.)
- Larisa: Tall, Black Iced Tea with Raspberry
- Mai: Grande, Half and Half, Upside Down Caramel Macchiato with 6 pumps (Thanks so much for the suggestion Rachael. Loved it!)
- Isom: Grande Upside Down Caramel Macchiato
- Gabe: Tall Caramel Apple Spice (cold because he won't drink anything hot)
- Arwen: Tall Hot Cocoa with Extra Whip Cream (They were out of short cups, so the kids got upgraded to Talls.)
Assorted pastries to share. Most didn't have labels, so we weren't sure what they were called. I got a slice chocolate loaf cake, which was delicious. Malia picked up a fancy looking cinnamon bun. Larisa got a raspberry twist type danish and a cream cheese filled chocolate cupcake. Isom just went on over to the Safeway bakery to get some donuts.
Malia felt that a Grande just wasn't enough for her, so she asks, "Want to go to the other Starbucks down the street?" I think she made Larisa's day, who was grinning ear to ear at the idea. I'm always up for Starbucks (even after just having a Starbucks.) When we shared the news with Gabe we got the same look he gave us part way through the Central Oahu coffee crawl. Less than thrilled, but playing along. Isom's just along for the ride, and Arwen will go anywhere her Gabey is going.
Rob had just gotten off the tug and had his co-worker drop him off to the location where we were headed. He didn't realize that this was a Starbucks trio visit and thought I was just going to this Starbucks because the Safeway one was closed or something. Standing in the parking lot waiting for me, he thinks, "Hey! There's Malia! Wait...and there's Isom and Larisa." Our three cars filed in one after the other. Back into the Kapahulu Starbucks he goes to join us for more New Year cheer!
The kids decided that Rob was more comfortable than the big purple chair in the corner.
His quote for the day, "Watch it Gabe. I don't want to be a soprano today."
Isom spent most of his time behind the camera. Part of the time taking pictures, but a good deal of it messing around with the features. (I hear this is part of the reason we had delays in getting pictures for our last post.) The Malia picture above and this cup are samples of his handywork.
For this visit:
Our baristas: I'm so sorry I forgot to ask. Hopefully Malia or Larisa got their names.
- Malia: Venti, Decaf, No Whip, Extra Foam Toffee Nut Latte
- Larisa: Tall, Sweetened Black Iced Tea Lemonade
- Mai: Venti, Sweetened Black Iced Tea Lemonade
- Isom: Ethos Bottled Water
- Rob: Grande Coffee
- Gabe: Ice Water
- Arwen: Nothing. She just wants to hang out with her Daddy who's been gone since the day after Christmas.
- Malia: Toasted Spinach Bagel with Cream Cheese
Malia also picked up another one of those Peppermint Bark Candy Cane Cookie Cutter things that Larisa found for us for Christmas. The ants found her other one :-( At least this one's on Christmas clearance.